What is the Watch D.O.G.S. program?
Watch D.O.G.S. is a nationwide program to help fathers and father figures participate with their children in their own schools. The Watch D.O.G.S. program was created in 1998, and has been implemented in over 6,000 schools nationwide.
How do I become a Watch D.O.G.S. volunteer?
- Fill out a Background Verification through Allen ISD: This is available on on the Allen ISD home page, Human Resources Department, Register to be a Volunteer. The Background Verification MUST be completed EVERY YEAR! It typically takes 2 weeks for clearance, so please complete it today. Link: Background Verification
- Purchase a Watch D.O.G.S. Official Uniform T-shirt. These are a requirement for volunteering and must be worn on your volunteer date. You will need to order directly from the Watch D.O.G. store. Link: Official Uniform Shirt
- Sign up for a day to volunteer on the Olson Watch D.O.G.S. calendar. We kindly request that you select only 1 day to volunteer to allow all dads the opportunity to volunteer. Watch D.O.G. sign-up is through SignUpGenius. Link: Watch D.O.G.S. Calendar
- Be at Olson Elementary on your scheduled day at 7:25 am with your student(s)!
What should I expect on my Watch D.O.G.S. volunteer shift?
When you arrive at school, you'll check in with the front office immediately upon arrival. You'll be provided a printed schedule customized for your Watch D.O.G.S. shift. You and your child(ren) will participate in the morning video announcements with the school staff and other students. You'll also help guide students to class before the opening bell. Throughout the day, your schedule will include several opportunities to spend time with your child(ren) as well as other student groups within the school. You'll be scheduled to eat lunch with your child, and if you have more than one child, you'll spend lunch with each of them. You may also be asked to serve in the library, the cafeteria, or other areas as needed. At the end of the day, you'll help as needed with dismissal, and will wrap up your Watch D.O.G.S. day around 3:10 pm.
How should I prepare for my Watch D.O.G.S. shift?Here are a few quick tips for making sure your Watch D.O.G.S. day is fun, safe, and comfortable:
- Make sure to apply for your background check at least two weeks before your scheduled date. The background check can take up to two weeks to complete, and must be completed prior to your Watch D.O.G.S. volunteer date.
- Wear your Watch D.O.G.S. shirt. This helps students easily identify you, and you'll be rewarded with a lot of hallway high-fives!
- Wear comfortable shoes. You'll probably do a lot of walking, so comfortable shoes are a must.
- Arrive at the school by 7:25am, and promptly check in with the office. They'll check you in, get you a volunteer sticker, and will give you your schedule for the day.
- If you need the restroom, there are adult restrooms in the front hallway, as well as inside the teacher's lounge.
- Plan to stay until the end of dismissal, usually around 3:10pm. The school staff will have a full schedule for you, so be sure to stick around to wrap up the school day with your kids. You'll likely be tired, but it'll be well worth it!
- Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your day as a Watch DOG!
- Richard Wright, the Olson PTA Watch D.O.G.S. Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nicole Oliver, the Olson School Counselor: email@example.com